A perception that you work hard, combined with an awareness of just how long you have been working, often substantiate this conviction.
But generally we all work hard. We also need to work smart and show some personal leadership to be highly effective.
‘Leadership ability’ is like a lid that helps determine a person’s level of effectiveness. The lower an individual’s ability to lead, the lower the level of his/her potential. The higher the individual’s ability to lead, the higher the level of potential. Your leadership abilityâ€”for better or for worseâ€”always determines your effectiveness and the potential impact on your organization.â€ That is the Law of the Lid.
I have talked and blogged many times about leadership on a company level. But leadership also happens on a personal level.
Your leadership level has a great impact on the role you can play in the company. By working hard you stay in the game. By working smart you increase your effectiveness, and by raising your leadership ability you multiply that effectiveness.
This is what working smart could look like for you:
- I find ways to make my tasks more efficient.
- I only do tasks that bring value to the company and find a way to stop unnecessary tasks.
- I avoid interrupting others, I look for answers myself first.
- My work is well-organized; no one has to go behind me.
- If I miss a day of work, someone else can easily step in for that day.
- No-one has to look over my shoulder to make sure I do not make mistakes.
- Every month, I can complete more complicated tasks from start to finish.
- I am resourceful: I can investigate a problem, look at possible solutions and solve the problem.
- I am always trying to learn new tasks, I push my training forward.
This is what leadership and showing leadership potential could look like for you:
- I am reliable: I have near perfect attendance and I do not leave before the job is done.
- I am consistent: I have steady emotions and I have a consistent work output.
- I do all aspects of my job without having to be reminded.
- I take initiative when appropriate.
- I am able to show assertiveness and take control of situations.
- I am aware of what is happening around me and see how the pieces fit together.
- I can take risks when appropriate.
- I can influence other people to take specific actions.
- I put the good of the entire team and entire company first.
- I am a force for positive change.
- I can complete a task or project from start to finish without having to be reminded. It stays my problem until it is completed even if I am waiting on someone else for an answer or action.
- I can complete a task or project from start to finish without management guidance every step of the way.
- I bring up a problem as soon as I see it, and when I bring up a problem I seek to propose a solution as well.
Your leadership level has a great impact on the role you can play in the company. By raising your leadership ability you multiply your effectiveness.
I am asking you to work smart and show leadership to the extent of your ability. People who work smart and show leadership get my attention, and it is the same in most other companies.
Personal leadership forms part of the roadmap to be more effective.
My commitment is to help my employees along the way to their personal career success.